Thursday, January 23, 2003

What follows is an actual review problem I had last year in Chem 1B. Thanks to Marie’s antiquated away messages for bringing this back to my attention. She points out that this is the type of question that would never fly at Stanford, but seems completely at home at Cal. Also, my E45, Properties of Materials, readers had quotes from “The Art of War” and Bernard Shaw. Anyway, enjoy.

“You have one proton. You are electron-rich, and I am electron-poor, but we co-exist in an electronically stratified society. What kind of spectroscopy and wavelength of radiation would you use to distinguish between our protons so that you could continue to oppress my proton? If there were no magnetic field, would such a class distinction be possible?”

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?